Disclosure: I received this product free through the Homeschool Review Crew.
One of my goals for my kids and our homeschool is to produce proficient readers. A friend of mine once shared at a homeschool parent meeting that when she teaches her children to read, she gives them the keys to learning. If your child can read, they have a whole world opened up to them. They can take ownership of their learning. I love those moments when I see my children transition from reading as a chore to reading as a pleasure. I have learned in my homeschool journey that there is no formula (despite what curriculum companies and schools would have you believe) to determining reading readiness. The light bulb comes on at different times for different kids. My oldest was three when he began reading on his own. My second was almost nine when she made the leap. I have one child who seems to have a dimmer switch on her light bulb… some days are bright and she will read with ease and other days are tough and we feel like we are back at the beginning. Because of this, I think it is important to have many resources at your fingertips when teaching reading. One such wonderful resource is The Reading Game, 2nd Edition from Allsaid & Dunn, LLC.
The author, Kenneth Hodkinson, is the author of the acclaimed Worldly Wise Vocabulary Textbook series. I remember Worldly Wise from my teaching days. While I love new and shiney things, I have found that there is incredible value in the curriculum and programs that have stood the test of time. Worldly Wise has been around for decades.
The Reading Game, 2nd Edition can be used again and again. Once my kids got the hang of it, I was able to step back and let them play it without me. My children are already reading so we used the game to reinforce the skills they have already learned. However, the game touts that with just a few minutes a day of playing the matching game, a child can be reading their first book within a week.
The Reading Game, 2nd Edition contains six leveled reading books. The covers of the books are varying colors while the illustrations inside are black and white. They give me the feel of vintage readers. Each book includes a simple word matching game. The card decks are colored to match the books. The game works to help children learn 180 sight words and begin reading with the game-style approach.
Using a multi-sensory approach with cards and story books reaches various learning styles and helps with reading retention. The game does come with a parent guide as well as online access to Pre/Post Game Sight Word Assessment Worksheets. There is also a Pre/Post Sight Word Class Recording Sheet to keep track of progress.
If you are looking for a gentle approach to strengthen essential reading skills, I would recommend checking out The Reading Game, 2nd Edition. Using games in our school helps reduce anxiety as well as break down the belief that school is worksheets, book work, and sitting at desks all day. By the way… I have rarely required my children to do much book work or sitting at desks and somehow they still assume that is what school is all about!
My eleven year old daughter was helping me unpackage The Reading Game, 2nd Edition. I was explaining that we would be playing it so we could share our opinions on my blog. She is aware that I do product reviews and asked excitedly, “Do you get to keep the things people send you to try?” She was hoping we would be keeping The Reading Game, 2nd Edition. I assured her that it was ours to keep. Thank you Review Crew!
Be sure to follow The Reading Game and Allsaid & Dunn, LLC on Social Media:
Twitter: @thereadinggame2 – https://twitter.com/TheReadingGame2
Instagram: @thereadinggame – https://www.pinterest.com/TheReadingGame/_saved/
Pinterest: @TheReadingGame — https://www.pinterest.com/TheReadingGame/
Check out what other members of the Homeschool Review Crew are saying. Click the banner below:
But wait!!! There’s More!!!
Allsaid & Dunn, LLC has five sets to giveaway to our readers!
- Five random winners will be drawn and notified. Prize winners will be notified of the competition result by email, and winners will be announced on Facebook on Thursday, 18 March 2021.
- One prize each of The Reading Game.
- One Easy entry below using the Rafflecopter.
- It opens at 8 am EST 8 March 2021
- Closes Midnight EST 15 march 2021
- To be eligible to enter the giveaway, entrants must be a real person, at least 18 years old, and reside in the United States (proof of address or age may be required) and void where prohibited by law.
- No purchase necessary to enter to win.
- No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability, and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value.
- Entrants must not be our employee, officer, or agent, and/or you must not be a family relation of any such person.
- Reasonable efforts will be made to contact the prize winner for 14 days. If the winner fails to respond to our notification attempts within this time or provide an address for delivery of the prize or fails to meet any of the eligibility requirements or is otherwise unable to comply with the competition terms and conditions, we reserve the right to disqualify that entrant and offer the prize to the next eligible entrant and thereafter until a winner is found.
Click the picture below to be taken to the Give Away!!!!